Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Baby Food Production...


Today I ventured in to the world of baby food processing. Recently I went out to buy baby food and the cost was really going to add up, especially since I use organics. The little jar in front was 59 cents. So, today I packed up Will and we walked to Whole Foods to buy just that....Whole Foods. I bought apples and sweet potatoes for my first attempts. I cooked up the sweet potatoes tonight and ran them through the sieve. I then put them in sterile containers and froze them in 3 tablespoon servings. They look great, taste good, and cost about 1/8th of what it would cost to buy the pre-jarred kind. I only spent about 20 min doing it too. Now I can come up with all kinds of fun combos as he gets more foods in his repertoire!

2 comments:

Little Blessings said...

I ADORE making my own baby food! Plus I don't care how much the jars say they taste like real food with no additives, if my veggies tasted like those in the jar there is no way I would eat them. My only downfall is meat. I do buy the meat for the first go through. By the time I hit that though my kids generally have some teeth and finely minced works just as well. You could also try freezing the food in ice cube trays. I found that worked well for me and then I could just store the cubes in plastic freezer bags and grab as many as I needed out of it each night. Just a suggestion though!

Kelly said...

I think I will do the ice cube tray thing once he eats more at a time, that will allow variety in his meals. I don't really know how I would manage meats either.....they are so stringy.