Thursday, January 29, 2009

Kelly vs Maria Montessori

Maria Montessori, whom I have the utmost respect for, believed that a child comes into this world a "Sponge" longing to absorb knowledge and if placed in the correct environment will learn and react to the world properly without any adult interference. Well, I am coming to believe that children are born feral and it is our duty to socialize them and domesticate them. My dear little boy today was a holy terror at the baby playground. He is already blocking other children from using equipment, pulling and pushing other kids to stop them from using something he is using, and has been hitting more and more. I thought at first, "He can't possibly be trying to actually hurt people!" But now I think he might be doing these things on purpose. I thought he was too young for intentional actions like that! I can see I am in for a long road ahead of public fits galore, and lots of embarrassment.

3 comments:

Little Blessings said...

Embrace it and work with it. Someday all the effort will pay off. If you want to see the opposite of discipline watch some Judge Judy.

The whole process is long and exhausting but absolutely worth it. YOu will end up with a little boy that you want to be with. Not one you tolerate out of sheer necessity.

Kelly said...

You know, I do see a lot of parents that seem to be with their kids out of necessity, isn't that sad? I am bound and determined to not raise a little monster. I can see how I need to get him out more now to play with other kids so we can practice these skills, even if that means I have to deal with fits more often.

Little Blessings said...

Fits unfortunately are just part of the process. And children are horribly self centered and self involved. The world does revolve around them right? It is just one reason why having sibling are a great thing. Second children (and beyond) seem to be a bit more giving and willing to share in general. They don't know how to live any other way.