Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I never thought I would live to see this...



Growing up in the south, where people still use the N-word on a regular basis, never did I think I would ever, ever live to see a black man elected president. I am so happy for him and so proud that we as a country have risen above our prejudices and history and elected Barack Obama. My Mother and Grandmother remember seeing separate drinking fountains, benches, and serving windows. Those days are gone, but there was still a barrier and I feel like we have finally burst through it! I look forward to raising William in a country that is one step closer to the "Dream" of MLK, and he will never remember a time when the only presidents were white Males! Good Job America! I am sure that Rosa Parks, MLK, and so many others are looking down from Heaven and cheering tonight! Now we just have to get a woman in there.....

Two lines that mean a lot to me today:

"I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

We are closer to the mountain top Dr King!

No comments: